The East Village Independent Merchants Association in collaboration with the East Village Community Coalition are seeking volunteers to help local businesses.
Per a tweet yesterday:
COVID-19 and current social unrest have hit the East Village hard, particularly local businesses. We could use your help. Interested in volunteering around the East Village? Sign up here to help out.
Again, that volunteer form is here. (Among other things, the form asks if there are any skills or volunteer interests you would like them to know about, such as painting, carpentry, cooking or teaching.)
By my count, more than 50 East Village storefronts were damaged in recent days from either post-protest vandalism or break-ins — many of them late-night Sunday/early Monday morning.
At Ama Raw Bar, the three-month-old restaurant at 190 Avenue B near 12th Street, someone tried to break down the front door, but was unsuccessful at gaining entrance.
[Photo by Stacie Joy]
Regardless, the Ama team — Will, Harvey and Rita (above) — decided to shut down for now. They had just reopened for take-home food and drinks.
Previously on EV Grieve:
• 2 break-ins on Avenue A: Village Square Pizza, Tompkins Finest Deli & Grill
• Noting another break-in, this time at Rue-B
• The break-in at Khiladi on Avenue B
• Here's the moment of the break-in early this morning at Alphabet City Beer Co.
• A broken window and burglary at C&B Cafe
• More about the damage at B&H Dairy