[Photo from May 18 by Vinny & O]
On May 18, workers removed the plywood fence that surrounded the site of where 119-123 Second Ave. stood until the deadly gas explosion on March 26. However, the plywood — with photos and tributes to Moises Ismael Locón Yac and Nicholas Figueroa, the two men who died on March 26 — remained up behind the new chain-link fence.
Yesterday, though, several readers mentioned that workers took down that plywood fencing…
… and stacked it up in the lot…
Meanwhile, we haven't heard much about the investigation into the blast. Last Friday, in an article about B&H Dairy reopening, the Post had a few updates on what they called "an ongoing criminal probe."
According to the Post, prosecutors and homicide investigators continue to question witnesses.
They spoke to Marius Wesser, the lawyer for chef Machendra Chongbang, who worked at Sushi Park, the site of the explosion. He said that he went for an interview last month at the Manhattan District Attorney's Office.
Per the Post:
“They must have had 20 people there,” Wesser said. “Fire investigators, [DA] rackets bureau people, NYPD — it was pretty intense.”
The DA’s Office declined to comment, and lawyers for Maria Hrynenko, who owned the blast building and the one next door, did not return calls.
H/T Vinny & O