
Alternative headline: As the _ _ _ _ flies.
Crow pic on Avenue A today by Steven.
Admittedly the #NYPD has some excellent photographers, but this isn’t a glamour shot.
— NYPD 9th Precinct (@NYPD9Pct) February 6, 2019
We are asking your assistance in identifying this man #wanted for an assault that occurred on Wed 1/23.
If you have any information please call #800577Tip @NYPDTips pic.twitter.com/EP0RcOQf1B
Police are looking for a square-jawed male model who allegedly choked another man in the East Village during a dispute over a woman, cops said Thursday.
Suspect Mike Jeffery allegedly launched his romantic attack at the 32-year-old victim’s home on Avenue B around 7 p.m. on Jan. 23, police said.
Jeffery allegedly placed the man in a chokehold and said: “Don’t talk to my girl. I should have done this before.”
The victim suffered pain to his hands and back and refused medical attention.
Q. You manage all that selling candy?
A. We sell “chucherias” (knick-knacks), candy and sodas. Raul also sells books and other stuff. There’s not that many of these type of stores around anymore.
Q. Are you both from Puerto Rico?
A. 100 percent. I was born in Las Marias and grew up in Mayagüez. Raul is from… I can’t remember where he’s from. Humacao, maybe. I met him here. He used to go to the island every year. I don’t.
Q. Is it mostly Puerto Ricans who buy things here?
A. We get people from all classes, no matter the race or color. Some come in to look and take pictures. Others come to hang out. It’s like in Puerto Rico, where there are “kioskos,” small businesses where neighborhood people get together. We play dominos out here and we have a good time between people of the old guard.
Continuing the Farewell Tour through February as we dig up more and more from the Endless Basement! #strangeadventures #supergirl #wolverine #weirdwar #transformers #strangetales #nickfury #shield #silveragecomics pic.twitter.com/eUuAXP78dO
— St. Mark's Comics (@StMarksComicsNY) February 4, 2019
Following [yesterday] morning’s emergency evacuation of two residential buildings adjacent to CHARAS/El Bohio, Councilwoman Carlina Rivera, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, elected officials, community leaders, and neighbors will gather ... to call on Mayor Bill de Blasio to immediately take action in light of these new, potential structural and safety concerns.
CHARAS/El Bohio, also known as the old P.S. 64, was auctioned off by Mayor Rudy Giuliani 20 [21] years ago and has remained vacant ever since. Singer, the purchaser and current owner has not adequately maintained this landmark building, allowing it to deteriorate to its current condition. At a Council District 2 Town Hall in 2017, Mayor de Blasio announced that his administration would take steps to re-acquire this building. No substantive updates have been provided on this issue since then.
Two Contiguous Mixed-Use Walk-up Buildings
Home to Momofuku Noodle Bar!
Compass is pleased to offer for sale two contiguous mixed-use walkup buildings located at 169 First Ave. and 171 First Ave. The buildings contain a total of 2 retail stores and 5 free market residential units. The Property can be sold separately or as a package.
Buildings Department inspecting the crack. That is one big ass crack. pic.twitter.com/Qardx5JV3A
— Liam Quigley (@_elkue) February 6, 2019
Update on 350 E 10th Street (aka CHARAS):
— Carlina Rivera 利華娜 (@CarlinaRivera) February 6, 2019
- NYC DOB on scene to assess structure
- Residents of 2 adj. bldgs temporarily evacuated
- M8 bus rerouted
- 10th St. bet. Aves B/C remains closed
One thing clear: owner has neglected to take care of this property. More updates soon!
“It’s all political. This is part of a concerted effort to put pressure on us,” Singer told Curbed. “I was just at the building. There’s definitely cracks—that we were already aware of—that will be pointed and repaired, but there’s no immediate danger.”
After surveying the building, city inspectors determined that the building is safe but did issue a violation to Singer for failure to maintain the exterior facade for cracks observed on the corner of the building at the third floor, a DOB spokesman said.
“DOB Engineers on site have inspected the entire building, and have found that the building is not in imminent danger of collapse, and does not currently pose a danger to the public,” said DOB spokesperson Andrew Rudansky in a statement. The vacate orders at the evacuated buildings have been lifted.
Following this morning’s emergency evacuation of two residential buildings adjacent to CHARAS/El Bohio, Councilwoman Carlina Rivera, Manhattan Borough President Gale Brewer, elected officials, community leaders, and neighbors will gather tomorrow to call on Mayor Bill de Blasio to immediately take action in light of these new, potential structural and safety concerns.
This morning, the Department of Buildings issued a violation to the owner of the long-empty former P.S. 64, Gregg Singer, for failing to maintain the building's exterior after DOB engineers found cracks in the corner of the building on the third floor. In addition to evacuating the adjacent buildings, firefighters and Con Ed officials had to be called to the scene as well.
CHARAS/El Bohio, also known as the old P.S. 64, was auctioned off by Mayor Rudy Giuliani 20 years ago and has remained vacant ever since. Singer, the purchaser and current owner has not adequately maintained this landmark building, allowing it to deteriorate to its current condition. At a Council District 2 Town Hall in 2017, Mayor de Blasio announced that his administration would take steps to re-acquire this building. No substantive updates have been provided on this issue since then.
The L Train bus and bike lanes are halfway done. Join Transportation Alternatives and commuters everywhere to demand that the NYC Mayor commit to the best versions of Manhattan's 14th Street and North Brooklyn's Grand Street
Rally for L Train Bus and Bike Lanes
Feb 6th @ 10 a.m.
ECOLOGICAL CITY: A Cultural & Climate Solutions Action Project engages the Lower East Side community through creative strategies, co-creating a theatrical pageant, to celebrate and bring together climate resiliency and ecological sustainability solutions throughout the gardens, neighborhood and East River Park waterfront, and their contribution to city and global climate challenges.
Ecological Arts Workshops run March 2 – May 8, every Wednesday 6-9 p.m. and Saturday 12-4 p.m., creating spectacular giant puppets, costumes, and performances exploring local sustainability sites and climate solution initiatives. Groups and organizations are invited to develop group arts projects.
Visual arts and performance projects created through the workshops are presented in the culminating Ecological City: Procession for Climate Solutions on Saturday, May 11, with 20 site performances celebrating ecological sustainability initiatives throughout the community gardens, neighborhood, and East River Park waterfront on the Lower East Side.
Help us cultivate an ecologically sustainable future through joyous affirmation and creative collective action!
On Feb. 4, the Archdiocese of New York announced that St. Brigid School in Manhattan will cease operations at the end of the current academic year.
We understand that this is upsetting and concerning news, but rest assured that additional information on this development, as well as the resources to ensure that your child can continue their education at an excellent Catholic School nearby, will be forthcoming this week and posted on a special web page we have created for parents: https://catholicschoolsny.org/st-brigid, where additional information and resources will be available and updated regularly.
On February 4, the Archdiocese of New York announced changes to a number of Catholic schools across the Archdiocese. Regretfully, St. Brigid School will cease operations at the end of the current academic year.
Despite the Archdiocese’s best efforts to maintain the operational and financial viability of the school, continuing to educate students in a building that is underutilized and in need significant improvements has proven unfeasible.
St. Brigid School students will have the opportunity to continue their Catholic education at another nearby Catholic School, some of which are listed below. We encourage you to visit potential schools at your earliest convenience to see how your child can continue receiving an excellent faith-based education.
• Guardian Angel Elementary School
• Immaculate Conception Elementary School
• Our Lady of Pompeii Elementary School
• Transfiguration Elementary School
Receiving a letter home in a kid's backpack, like it was a field trip permission slip, is unacceptable. It gave no concrete reasons but claims that they did their best to keep the school open. It is not 'your best' if you did not include the community most affected. The families are not naive, but they are getting organized!
Heartsick students at a 163-year-old Manhattan Catholic school burst into tears Monday after learning it would shutter permanently at the end of this academic year.
Founded in 1856, the Saint Brigid School in the East Village was one of five city Catholic schools marked for closure by the Archdiocese of New York this week.
“They told us during assembly,” said a downcast Carly Auringer, an 11-year-old sixth-grader. “Everyone was crying.”
Students said they had formed rare bonds with classmates over the years — and struggled to accept being separated from them next year.
Lebewohl claims in the Manhattan Supreme Court suit that Opal Holdings’ work on its 15-story mixed-use project still under development at 644 East 14th Street cracked the interior and exterior walls of Lebewohl’s 642 East 14th Street and caused metal doors inside to be inoperable.
The legal issues commenced when Opal began excavating and installing the foundation for its development, according to the suit filed on Jan. 22 [2019]. Opal tried to cut costs by driving the piles for the foundation too close to Lebewohl’s long-held residential building which damaged the wall and ceilings, the suit claims.
Madison Realty Capital (MRC), an institutionally-backed real estate investment firm focused on real estate equity and debt investments in the middle markets, provided a $52.0 million first mortgage loan for the acquisition of a development site in the East Village and construction of an approved 76,259 square foot mixed use development on the site.
The plans for 644 East 14th Street include 50 residential units, 8,064 square feet of retail space with 200 feet of frontage on 14th Street and Avenue C, and 21,575 square feet of community facility space.
The property is located at the corner of 14th Street and Avenue C, along the Northern border of the East Village and directly across the street from Stuyvesant Town. Residential units will offer contemporary finishes and large balconies with East River views. The borrower is currently finalizing a lease with a major New York hospital to occupy the entire community facility portion of the new building.
Those delivery guys standing outside were still there well into the evening as the store was completely overrun with orders. I had a delivery [set for] 5 p.m. — made the order days ago. I came at 6 p.m. to see absolute chaos. I ended up leaving since the game started, but people were missing their own parties, etc.
They had no directions as to what to do. People were furious, delivery guys were angry, and police were ticketing and towing double-parked cars outside. So you’d hear people scream “who has the gray Nissan?! They’re about to tow it” every 5 minutes.
I ended up never getting my wings — which I preferred over getting them at midnight — and will be calling for a refund ...
@AtomicWings I ordered 100 wings from your East Village location that were supposed to come at 4pm and still have not been delivered. I have called and the line is constantly busy, I’ve emailed and no one responded. Can you help please??
— Alex Cirillo (@MissCirillo) February 3, 2019
@AtomicWings I ordered 100 wings to be delivered at 17:30 est and I haven’t received my order nor been able to get in contact. Can someone who works there please #dm me. I’ was on hold for 20 minutes #CustomerService #USA #SuperBowlLIII
— JSL Jr (@realmynameisjsl) February 4, 2019
@AtomicWings is the new Fyre festival #FyreFestival #bust #FailedtoDeliver
— Danny Brenner (@dbrenner7) February 4, 2019
I ordered over 100 wings for my super bowl party a week in advance. I prepaid and even called the restaurant the night before to confirm the order. Not only were the wings not received but they unplugged their phone line so that no one could get in touch with them and have not reconnected it as of 12:30 P.M. the following day.
The franchisee at the First Avenue location ran into an equipment failure that hampered his ability to get orders out in a timely fashion. He has already reached out to customers to offer them full refunds and store credits.
Chaim Joseph, 72, of the East Village was hit by a private oil truck shortly before 6 a.m. while he was riding in the bike lane near the intersection of Eighth Avenue and West 45th Street in Midtown.
The motorist then drove off, cops said.
Joseph was rushed to Bellevue Hospital Center, but he could not be saved.
The afternoon, an NYPD spokeswoman said that the “driver and the vehicle have been identified.” She declined to give further details. No one has been arrested as of 3:30 p.m. on Monday.
This is horrific, and this can’t keep happening. We have SO MUCH MORE work to do to protect cyclists and pedestrians in our city. My heart breaks for this man and his loved ones. What a senseless loss. https://t.co/xvwHXiwux2
— NYC Council Speaker Corey Johnson (@NYCSpeakerCoJo) February 4, 2019