Photos yesterday by Stacie Joy
The cleanup continues after a two-alarm fire broke out at 136 Avenue C on Monday morning.
According to sources at the scene, someone tossed a lit cigarette from a residence in the rear of the building between Eighth Street and Ninth Street. The cigarette landed in a pile of recyclables and ignited something combustible in the interior courtyard, causing an explosion that shattered several windows. The fire traveled up the A&C Kitchen shaft to the roof.
The FDNY issued an "under control" roughly 38 minutes after the first report on Monday.
Several ground-floor businesses were damaged, including flooding at the A&C Kitchen, the affordable and reliable quick-serve Chinese restaurant. They will be closed for the foreseeable future. the Wayland will reopen on Thursday, per an Instagram announcement ... there was a cleanup crew inside the cocktail lounge, which looked intact ... Lovewild Design, the sustainable gifts and stationery shop, was also spared from fire-related damage... on duty...As for apartments, a unit on the first floor near the blaze was scorched. Aside from some broken windows, we didn't hear of any other damage to residences. A tenant on the third floor said his unit was fine.
Our building apartment leases stipulate No Smoking. The entire building is labeled as a No Smoking building and signs are posted inside the entrance.
It is a shame that people's livelihoods and homes are destroyed by carelessness.
That careless action created a whole lot of suffering. Smokers have the right to smoke. Yet, we all deserve to have a smoke free and safe environment. And just because something is legal that doesn't make it right. Hence ordinary inhabitants fight for laws to protect us.
What a shame. I was worried about A&C Kitchen when I heard about this fire. They don’t just have very good and reasonably priced food, but they are incredibly hard working and the owner is kind and has been a part of the east village for decades. If there is any sort of godfundme or a fundraiser I would happily donate to them and the other retail spaces.
Another voice for supporting A&C Kitchen!! This is terrible news for them and the residents of the building.
Stupid carelessness by the smoker. All they had to do was use an ashtray and put the butt out. This is the kind of thing that can start huge forest fires. they could have killed someone.
2:08 PM - Yes, I agree. A & C Kitchen is my go-to place for Chinese takeout. It is always fresh and delicious and they give you a lot for your money. I always get the vegetable fried rice. My neighbor orders from them once every week and also loves their food. The staff are nice and efficient. Hope they recover from this set back. I will be sure to order from them as soon as they reopen to show my support.
They are also family owned and marvelous neighbors. When the shutdown finally ended and the reopenings began they planted lovely flowers out in front and were so pleased to be back and open and friendly. Wishing them a soft landing. Best, Jg
One thing A&C has that no one else has is the Hijiki-Tofu sandwich (or dinner) previously a favorite at the late lamented Dojo restaurant of St. Mark's place.
I'll go get one—or two—of these bad boys as soon as they reopen, and be there much more often.
hoping A&C has good insurance and all the best wishes to them!!
Post a Comment