Monday, March 5, 2012

Fire-ravaged Gut-renovated apartment at 240 E. Houston now on market

A new listing appeared Friday for a two-bedroom apartment at 240 E. Houston St. at Avenue A... Here are the details via Synergy New York:

Gorgeous GUT RENOVATED 1050 Square foot Penthouse One Bedroom + Home office 2 full bath apartment in Prime East Village Location.Open Living/Dining/Kitchen with brand new stainless steel appliances and W/D in suite, top floor with 2 dramatic skylights make this space bright and welcoming. Private 500 SF roof terrace with stunning views of the city. Master bedroom 12x21 with large walk in closet and built in storage cabin, Large Home office 11x14, 7 East Facing Windows. Beautiful prewar 5 Storey Elevator Building with original details and New York Charm.

The rent is $5,500 a month, and this is what it looks like... Very nice!

GUT RENOVATED? Indeed! Perhaps enough time has passed in which there isn't a need to mention the four-alarm fire that scorched the building in July 2010...

[Josh via Twitpic.]

The morning after the fire...

[EVG reader Chris]

According to multiple published reports, the fire was caused by the "unapproved use of electrical wiring," according to a FDNY official, who explained that residents had extended various cords to the roof, and stretched wires beneath roofing materials.

(You can watch video of the fire here.)


Anonymous said...

I'll never forget that day. As I stood and watched the firemen deal with the fire w/a hundred (at least) other people around, some heavily-tattooed lady came up crying, saying her apartment was one of the ruined ones.

I and the people around me encouraged her to approach the Red Cross folks on hand and let them know she needed their help for a place to stay. She said no, that she'd walk the shock off. It dawned on me that she was just some nut trying to get attention and was just making it all up. Weirdo! Only in New York!

RyanAvenueA said...

I remember getting about 8 phone calls in 5 minutes from neighborhood friends saying (thankfully exaggeratedly) that the whole block along A was on fire. I jumped in a cab and the cabbie said "Oh yeah, there's a huge fire right there" and couldn't get me any closer than the FDR, so I ran the rest of the way. It must have been 100 degrees that day. Our place got a lot of smoke, so a restaurant owner friend of ours chopped up about 30 white onions in a tub and told us to put them in the living room for 3 hours. Totally absorbed all the smoke smell, it was amazing. Also bought renters insurance the next day.