Photos by Stacie Joy
The New York Liberty Bell is now on display at the New-York Historical Society.
As you may recall, workers removed the bell, which dates to the early 1700s, several weeks ago from the belfry at the fire-damaged Middle Collegiate Church on Second Avenue at Seventh Street. via the Museum:
Along with countless other momentous events, the bell pealed upon the reading of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, announced the inauguration and death of every American president, and tolled in remembrance of the lives lost on September 11, 2001.Donated by Colonel Abraham de Peyster to Middle Collegiate Church — then the New Dutch Church on Nassau Street—the bell was cast by the foundry of Jan Albert de Grave in Amsterdam in 1731. The 900-pound bell rings with a distinctive silver tone, thanks to donated coins thrown into the metal mix.During the Revolution, the bell was moved to York, Pennsylvania, for safekeeping, but it was not silenced for long. The bell echoed through the 19th century from Middle Church at Lafayette Place, Ninth Street Church, and St. Nicholas Collegiate in Midtown. In 1949, the bell was relocated to Middle Church’s present East Village location.
The bell will be in the museum on Central Park West until Middle Collegiate Church's sanctuary is rebuilt.
The museum is open Fridays from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.; until 5 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Kids 17 and under get in free on the Fourth of July.
Previously on EV Grieve: