As you know, the diner, dating to the mid-1960s here on Avenue A between Seventh Street and St. Mark's Place, closed in July. Longtime manager Dennis Vassilatos said that Odessa was shutting down after a prolonged slump in business due to COVID-19.
Closer to the last day, however, co-owner Steve Helios told Gothamist that Odessa was only closing temporarily, that the space would be renovated. (The building's landlord is Odessa partner Mike Skulikidis.)
As for Thanksgiving... through the years they stuck with a winning offering — glass of wine, cup of cream of turkey soup, etc. And pricing — and signage! — for the Complete Dinner remained unchanged since 2014, when management bumped the meal from $15.95 to $18.95.
We are thankful for all the meals that we enjoyed at Odessa through the years. Perhaps we'll see another Odessa bounty next year.
Previously on EV Grieve:
• Odessa breaks out the Thanksgiving Special signage
• It now seems like Thanksgiving with the Thanksgiving Special at the Odessa
• Odessa unveils Thanksgiving Special; complete dinner still $18.95
• Thanksgiving at Odessa
• Still the best Thanksgiving deal around
• 1 idea for a last-minute Thanksgiving meal
• A tradition almost as traditional as Thanksgiving itself