A quick recap: On Nov. 11, a carbon monoxide sensor went off related to the storefront's hot water heater. Workers discovered a hole in the flue that brings in replacement air. Because of the hole, replacement air wasn't getting into the basement, thus the high carbon monoxide reading, owner Christopher Pugliese said. Regardless of the find and fix, ConEd still turned off the gas to the storefront.
To keep the popular shop running, Pugliese, who helped feed the homeless and essential front-line workers during the pandemic's worst days in the spring, spent $7,000 to buy three electric grills and have three 220-volt power lines installed so his team could cook.
While Pugliese was annoyed that he had to close the shop from 10 a.m. to noon on one his busiest days of the year ("Yes, I'm complaining") when ConEd showed up, he's extremely happy to be back up at full cooking power.
He's also thankful to the encouraging comments and insights that EVG readers left on the previous posts about the situation (links below).
"I'm really grateful to all the people who wrote letters and gave advice through those comments," Pugliese said.
He also said he received helpful assistance in navigating the bureaucracy from local City Councilmember Carlina Rivera and her staff member Pedro Carrillo. "They pushed hard for me and Pedro really seemed to genuinely care," Pugliese said. "He called me three times a week and gave lots of help."
"This whole ordeal stunk and it cost me more money than I want to think about but it could've been so much worse," Pugliese said. "Thank you and happy New Year."
Previously on EV Grieve: