Organizers for SantaCon will continue searching for a neighborhood for the booze-fueled charity bar crawl, deciding to stay out of Bushwick, according to an organizer.
The organizer said Bushwick was one of a half-dozen neighborhoods SantaCon NYC was considering for the Dec. 13 event and that no neighborhood has been selected yet. The organizer declined to name the other neighborhoods.
Few people in Bushwick were rolling out the welcome mat. As Gawker put it in a headline: "Bushwick Bars to Boycott Drunken Disgusting Shitshow Known as SantaCon."
Back to amNewYork:
“Nobody wants it and nobody will allow it,” Ben Warren, owner of The Bodega and Heavy Woods, told amNewYork. “I'm just going to keep them out.”
Warren said he got firsthand experience of “the madness that ensues” during SantaCon while living in the East Village. Now as a bar owner, Warren said he would hire a few door people to keep Santas out of his bars.
“It's like we're preparing for battle,” he said.
Bushwick denizens were also worried about the whirlwind of hard-drinking Santas coming into their neighborhood in the name of charity.
“It's like basically coming to trash the neighborhood,” Matthew Christie, a 23 year-old Bushwick resident, said.
The East Village/Lower East Side served as HQ for the drunken disgusting shitshow last year. Suggestions for 2014?
Previously on EV Grieve:
SantaCon makes it official: The fucking thing starts in Tompkins Square Park
'Quite simply, SantaCon is a parasite' (48 comments)