[EVG photo from Saturday]
There will be yet another pizza option starting Saturday when Sauce Pizzeria opens at 345 E. 12th St. between First Avenue and Second Avenue.
As first noted back in June, Adam Elzer of Sauce Restaurant on Allen and Rivington is behind this venture.
Elzer and company hope that the sauce here will set them apart from other pizzerias. Here's more from a Sauce rep on what to expect in the 22-seat space:
At this counter-service, pizza parlor, guests are encouraged to put sauce on everything and are given sides of sauce like (Grandmother's Gravy, Mantecato, Filleto, and Bolognese) with every order to enhance their meal, perfect for dipping crusts or adding an unexpected twist to salads.
Adam has been perfecting his dough recipe for the last five years, narrowing in on thin crust pies. Their coveted Pizza Master oven achieves overall consistency and ideal leopard spotting on each pie. The use of a homemade sourdough starter, Central Milling Beehive organic malted flour, fresh sauces, and a unique cheese blend creates their signature flavor profile. Pie highlights include:
• Upside Down Cheese Pie: constructed by reversing the order the ingredients are put on the pie with mozzarella, pecorino, tomato sauce, wild sicilian oregano, and breadcrumbs
• Heritage Sausage Pie: housemade pork sausage, red onion, shaved garlic, and breadcrumbs
• Vodka Pie: spicy mantecato sauce, fresh mozzarella, and basil
Additional menu items include:
• Fried Polenta Sticks
• Garlic Knots with fresh garlic & garlic oil
• Chocolate & Vanilla Van Leeuwen Soft Serve (the only venue in nyc to offer VL soft serve)
• Van Leeuwen Soft Serve Floats with Boylan's Soda (Black Cherry, Root Beer, Cola, Orange, etc.)
And an image via the rep...
Sauce is giving away free slices tomorrow (Friday!) from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
The space was last home to S'MAC, who moved to the corner at First Avenue in July 2017.
Previously on EV Grieve:
Sauce Pizzeria coming to 12th Street
More about Sauce Pizzeria, opening later this summer on 12th Street