Friday, February 28, 2014
[EVG file photo]
CB3 released the SLA licensing committee docket on Wednesday… the agenda includes a new proposal for El Sombrero on Stanton and Ludlow, which was previously going to become another outpost of Artichoke Pizza. That deal fell through, as BoweryBoogie first reported last month.
Now, an entity named Two Almontes Corp. is aiming to take over the inexpensive Mexican restaurant that opened here in 1984. We asked Regina Bartkoff, who has worked here since 1988, about all this. She has been out of work the last few weeks with a wrist injury. However! "I heard this rumor and called the restaurant and they told me no! Nothing is happening."
So perhaps chalk this up to some pre-mature paperwork. Anyway, The Hat remains open, of course — go while you still can!
Meanwhile, the rest of the docket is pretty quiet in the way of Big Ticket items…
Applications within Saturated Areas
• Zaragoza Mexican Deli & Grocery (Zaragoza Mexican Deli & Grocery Inc), 215 Ave A (b)
Not sure what is going on here… CB3 had previously OK'd a license for beer at Zaragoza back in May 2012.
• Sigmund Pretzel Shop Inc, 29 Ave B (upgrade to op)
• Paprika (Albatross Restaurant Corp), 110 St Marks Pl (op)
• Nublu (Tatu LLC), 151 Ave C (op)
• Bikinis (Eat Bikinis Inc), 56 Ave C (extend license to patio and gallery space)
New Liquor License Applications
• To be Determined, 117 2nd Ave (wb)
This was a scratch from the February agenda … A taker for the very short-lived Picnic on Second Avenue and East Seventh Street.
• To be Determined, 536 E 5th St (wb)
This is the address for the Minca Ramen Factory and Kuboya next door… not sure what space this application is for at the moment…
• Numero 28 (La Meridiana I Ltd), 176 2nd Ave (wb)
• Menkuitei (Shin Restaurant Inc), 63-69 Cooper Sq (op)
Or Menkui Tei.
• Mesa Seaview (Mesa Seaview), 41-43 E 7th St (upgrade to op)
• Eric Thant Corporation, 57 1st Ave (wb) (Pudgie's)
Hmm, Sushi Zayy already opened here at the former Pudgie's-Nathan's-Arthur Treacher's action-packed combo.
• To be Determined, 269 E Houston St (op)
Hahahahaha. This is like the 78th time this has shown up on the agenda. The Local 269 closed here in September 2012. There have been a few potential suitors, though nothing ever came of the various proposals for the bar space. We spotted nine different for rent/sale signs on the business last summer ... The whole building remains on the market for $12 million.
• Gaia Lounge (Sams 1 Lounge Inc), 103 E 2nd St (wb)
The meeting is March 10 at 6:30 p.m. Community Board 3 Office, 59 E. 4th St. between Second Avenue and the Bowery.
b=beer only | wb=wine & beer only | op=liquor, wine, & beer | alt=alterations