Sunday, August 17, 2014

[Updated] Fire this morning at 92 St. Mark's Place

The FDNY responded to a fire this morning just before 8 at 92 St. Mark's Place east of First Avenue.

Firefighters smashed the windows and cut away the window guards of the ground-floor apartment as they quickly had the situation under control.

We saw one soot-covered resident, a male in his late 20s or early 30s, wearing only shirts sit down next door on the steps to Physical Graffitea. A next-door neighbor brought him a blanket. Paramedics brought another woman out of the building and treated her on the scene for smoke inhalation, according to witnesses.

First Avenue was temporarily closed to northbound traffic at East Seventh Street. At this point, we do not know the cause of the fire or the extent of the damage. As far as we know right now, there were not any serious injuries.

Updated Aug. 18, 6 a.m.

The Post reports that the FDNY reduced two unconscious women from the fire. They are both "hospitalized in serious condition with smoke inhalation."

The cause of the fire is still under investigation, "but sources said investigators are focusing on the theory that smoking may have caused the couch to burst into flames."

Here's No. 92 early last evening...

Top photos via @evgrieve


Anonymous said...

I live behind this building on 7th st they also broke out most of the rear windows on the first 3 floors but definitely had it under control quickly. I didn't see any smoke, just heard a LOT of chaos. Looks like they have no power, lot of flashlights and all the residents I saw on the street were college age kids. Super scary. Hoping for an update.

Anonymous said...

Two young women were carried from the apartment and appeared to be in pretty serious condition (one was unconscious). They were treated on the sidewalk and placed into ambulances.

The residents of the building, having escaped to the street, were mostly young (early twenties) and wearing college T-shirts, shorts, etc.

The building super said it was a case of a someone falling asleep with a cigarette.

Anonymous said...

NYFD and NYPD confirmed the cause to be an electrical fire due to the old outlets in the tempered building. The fire started due to an extension cord that was plugged into the wall in the living room, and then spread into the girls bedroom, where the two women were sleeping.

Walter said...

Hope the ladies are alright. Antiquated wiring very often is the culprit in fires like this. In this day and age, any tenant should be able to expect contemporary wiring with adequate amperage and working fuse boxes. In addition, there is always a maximum wattage mentioned on the business end of a standard extension cord. Usually it's between 1500 and 1625 watts. When you hook up an air-conditioner, this pretty much consumes all of the UL recommended maximum wattage. Rule of thumb: Don't ever hook up ANYTHING ELSE to an extension cord feeding an air-conditioner.

Mary O'Shaughnessy said...

Red Cross volunteers and staff responded on Saturday, and are continuing to work with residents requesting assistance.

Anonymous said...

Adding to Walters not only extension cords approved for AC use should be used for air conditioners. These cord a quite substantial. A regular extension cord will melt and catch fire without ever tripping the breaker because there has be no short. I have seen this happen.

I live across the street and both young women were unconscious and in very bad shape when the fire fighters removed them from the building. I heard no smoke detectors going off before the FDNY arrived. Check you batteries.

Anonymous said...

Hope the ladies are alight so that Uncle Waltie can take advantage of them after getting during from a fauxrish bar.

Anonymous said...

I know one of the women. Praying for her.