Meanwhile, last week, the DOT continued marking the roadway with the new bike-lane designations... As reported last fall, the DOT is adding the protected north/south bike lanes on Avenue C and East Houston Street to help offset the upcoming closure of the East River Park greenway.
Planned improvements for cyclists, pedestrians and motorists along C include:
• Curbside bike lanes between Houston and Fourth Street
• Parking-protected, bollard-protected and curbside bike lanes between Fourth Street and 18th Street
• Updated parking regulations to provide truck loading zones
• Neighborhood loading zones on select side streets
• Painted pedestrian islands between 11th Street and 15th Street
• New left-turn bays at 10th Street and 14th Street here)