Here's a recap of the moves to date:
- Kapri Cleaners — the last day is tomorrow; moving to a new storefront in the renovated section of 250 E. Houston St.
- China Town — closed, possible move to Avenue C in the works.
- Subway (sandwich shop) — closed. No relocation notice.
- FedEx Office Print & Ship Center — moved to a new storefront in the renovated section of 250 E. Houston St.
- Dunkin'/Baskin-Robbins combo — closed. No relocation notice.
- Mattress Mart — closed.
So that is all the businesses in the portion of the strip to the east (where the new paint stops!)...
Multiple sources along this corridor have said a new residential building is in the works for this space. Four sources have told Stacie that the one-level row of storefronts is facing demolition. Nothing about a new building or demolition has shown up in DOB records.
And we'll find out in the weeks/months ahead if, perhaps (and purely speculative now), the long-empty 6 Avenue B at the NW corner might be part of a new development... [Updated: Likely NO]
The 13-floor residential building at 250 E. Houston St., the former Red Square, changed ownership in the fall of 2016 ... and underwent extensive renovations.
Previously on EV Grieve: