[EVG file photo of 4 St. Mark's Place]
On Tuesday, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) signed off on renovations and an expansion for the Hamilton-Holly House aka 4 St. Mark's Place aka the former storefront for Trash & Vaudeville.
The landmarked building (built in 1831 and sold to Alexander Hamilton’s son two years later) changed hands for $10 million in the spring.
As we first noted back in June, the building's developers, Castellan Real Estate Partners, need the proper LPC approvals before any work can take place.
The proposed plans show that the 4-floor building would increase its residential units from three to eight... with the help of a fifth-floor addition and expansion in the rear ... (the proposed renderings are on the left)
[Click for more detail]
...and the profile section...
New York Yimby has a full recap of the LPC meeting here.
A quick takeaway from NYY:
The commissioners were okay with most of the proposal, but not the fifth floor, because it would knock out the rear dormers. Nor did they like the new window at the basement level. They also had issues with the signage proposed for the front. In the end, they approved the proposal, but with the elimination of the new fifth floor and the new basement window. Without that additional floor, there might be a reduction in residential unit count. The applicant will also work with the LPC staff on the signage.
The LPC presentation included this photo of No. 4 from 1940...
Eastern Consolidated is currently listing two retail spaces at the building between Second Avenue and Third Avenue.
Until this past February, 4 St. Mark's Place housed Trash & Vaudeville for 41 years. (The store is now at 96 E. Seventh St.)
Previously on EV Grieve:
Exclusive: After 40 years, punk rock mainstay Trash and Vaudeville is leaving St. Mark's Place
4 St. Mark's Place is for sale
More residential units and a 5th-floor addition in the works for landmarked 4 St. Mark's Place