[Photo yesterday by Steven]
Workers have put up scaffolding and construction netting outside the landmarked 4 St. Mark's Place.
As reported this past December, the Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) signed off on renovations and an expansion for the Hamilton-Holly House (aka 4 St. Mark's Place), built in 1831 and sold to Alexander Hamilton’s son two years later.
The LPC nixed the additional floor, and a few other items. As it looks now, the expansion in the rear of the building will double the number of residential units from three to six.
Here's more about what will be taking place via New York Yimby, reporting on the LPC meeting last December:
On the front of the structure, a largely new entryway would be installed, the gate at the stoop would be removed, new windows would be installed, and the grand curved balcony would be reconstructed at the first floor. The secondary stair from the ground to the first floor would be removed and a new small gate put in its place at ground level, an additional window would be added to the basement level, an existing basement door would be replaced with a window, an agree under the front steps would be reopened, and signage would be installed. The existing fire escapes would remain. The façade would also receive an overall restoration.
The building changed hands for $10 million last spring.
Eastern Consolidated is currently listing two retail spaces here between Second Avenue and Third Avenue.
Until February 2016, 4 St. Mark's Place housed Trash & Vaudeville for 41 years. The store just celebrated its one-year anniversary at 96 E. Seventh St.
Previously on EV Grieve:
Exclusive: After 40 years, punk rock mainstay Trash and Vaudeville is leaving St. Mark's Place
4 St. Mark's Place is for sale
More residential units and a 5th-floor addition in the works for landmarked 4 St. Mark's Place