[EVG file photo of Orchard Alley on East 4th Street]
As previously reported, Gardens Rising is a Superstorm Sandy inspired, HUD-funded grant through New York State for flood control green infrastructure in local community gardens.
And now via the EVG inbox...
Meet the Gardens Rising Steering Committee
You are invited to the first public meeting of the Steering Committee!
Sunday, March 13 at 4 pm
Sixth Street Community Center
638 E.6th St between Avenue B and C
Gardens Rising has an excellent Steering Committee in place!
The selection process has just been completed.
We are very grateful to this very talented group of people who have volunteered their time and energies to help improve our community.
Welcome new members of The Steering Committee:
• Tessa Huxley, former Director of Battery Park City Parks Conservancy
• Brigid Keating, Senior Project Manager of NYC Economic Development Corp
• Jack Linn, long-serving Assistant Commissioner of the NYC Dept of Parks and Recreation
• Ilan Kutok, Director of Green Infrastructure NYC Dept. of Parks and Recreation
• Carlos Martinez, Assistant Director, NYC GreenThumb (non voting member)
They join the five elected Steering Committee gardeners:
• Sarah Zaborowski, representing the Great North Group, which are the 12 gardens on 11th, 12th and 13th Sts.
• Shawn Dahl, representing the El Pueblo Group, which are the eight gardens on 7th, 8th and 9th Sts,
• Carmine D'Intino, representing the Middle Earth Group, which are the nine gardens on 4th, 5th and 6th Sts.
• Herman Hewitt, representing the Mundo Verde Group, which are the eight gardens on 2nd and 3rd Sts.
• Kristin Ellington, representing the Southland Group, which are the ten gardens below Houston St and west of First Avenue.
The Steering Committee consists of nine members elected and selected from the greening community and one non-voting member from GreenThumb. The Steering Committee is responsible for adopting a Master Plan for the construction of storm water abatement measures in our community gardens.
Please come and meet the Steering Committee and have your voice heard. Gardens Rising is a very public process. Your input is essential to the success of this project.