An award-winning news site covering the East Village of NYC
Retweet to get the word out: Call 911 or @conedison immediately if you ever smell gas.— NYC Mayor's Office (@NYCMayorsOffice) March 27, 2015
Retweet to get the word out: Call 911 or @conedison immediately if you ever smell gas.
Thank you for the advice Captain Obvious After-the-Fact. But if the ConEd Vice President of Covering Your Own Ass is to believed, and I believe him, the inspectors on site just an hour or so before the explosion detected no gas leak. What they did find, however, was that work had been performed to expand the existing gas service and that said work failed (with a capital F) their inspection. Instead of shutting off the gas to the building (because what could possible go wrong?) they took some pictures and left. Hey, here's another platitude for your from your beneficient masters: if you see something, say something.
This is the third time I've seen someone say captain obvious. I really don't get that. Frankly, I've seen many people refuse to call Con Ed about a gas leak. I've walked into many buildings that reak of gas and it's just "normal." There's been a lot of gas smell in the EV as of late, which has worried me greatly. I wish someone would address this. I know there's been work going on. It is advice that needs to be repeated again and again and again. If you even think you smell it - call IMMEDIATELY.
Anon 2:12, my own neighbors closed doors in my face when I was knocking due to a smell of gas, on TWO different occasions. I called 911 and they took care of those very real leaks. People assume someone else will act on it or just underestimate the danger. It's INFURIATING.
After I signed the lease to my apartment, the management company said "if you smell gas or anything, call us first, not 911. We've had tenants call and it ends up being nothing and it's a whole ordeal." I know better, but people need to be informed that 911 or ConEd should be called immediately. DNAinfo is reporting that the landlord was called first in this case, and then his son and a contractor were called to check it out. This is completely unacceptable, and an absolute tragedy.
Post a Comment