On Monday night, there was a report of a fire in an apartment at 70 E. Seventh St. between First Avenue and Second Avenue. Thankfully the damage was minimal, though the tenant had to temporarily relocate.
This incident prompted a building resident to share this public service announcement:
If you were home, it was scary. Smoke. Flames. Lots of firefighters.
There is only one fire extinguisher (by the trash) for the entire building, which is basically all wood construction with a brick shell. One kitchen accident, faulty appliance, overloaded outlet or untended candle – and it all goes.
Even if the fire is small, smoke and water damage would make at least half or all of the building inhabitable. Bye-bye apartment.
Picture coming home to everything gone or evacuating in minutes (like those of us who were home thought we might have to Monday night) and not being permitted to return, and you know it’s time to — get a fire extinguisher for your apartment!
Saifee Hardware, First Avenue at Seventh Street, has a good selection ... as well as Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Amazon, etc.
Residents believe a faulty hot plate was the culprit for the fire scare, which led the resident to offer another tip: Check outlets, stove and unplug appliances — like hot plates — not is use.