Sunday, March 6, 2016

[Updated] Report of a fire at 133 E. 7th St.; Yuca Bar remains closed


[Photo by Shawn Chittle]

There were reports of a fire at 133 E. Seventh St. at Avenue A just before 6 this evening...


[SC]


[Mark Cyr]


[MC]

The FDNY was on it quickly...


[Photo by Perri Silver]


[Reader submitted]


[Reader submitted]


[Photo by Vinny & O]


[V&O]

About 30 minutes after the initial report, the fire was under control, per the FDNY...



Updated 7:35

The FDNY remains on the scene... Yuca Bar is closed... there's broken glass all over the sidewalk... Avenue A is closed off at St Mark's Place and East Sixth Street... and there's no through traffic on East Seventh Street...





As of this moment, there isn't any information on the cause or extent of the damage...

Updated 9:49 p.m.

Word from the scene is that a candle in an apartment started the fire. There weren't any reports of injuries.

Updated 7:30 a.m.

Here's a look at the East Seventh Street side of the building... firefighters needed to break the windows on the upper floors ...



Updated 4:50 p.m.

Ground-floor tenant Yuca Bar is closed tonight...



The dining room is also empty at the moment. It appears that the restaurant sustained some damages too...



Updated 6:15 p.m.


[Photo this evening by Steven]

8 comments:

Scuba Diva said...

I'm phobic about burning candles for just this reason; there isn't enough space in our apartment to burn candles safely.

Anonymous said...

This would not be the first fire caused by a burning candle. Throw out your candles as you would throw out politicians.

Don't burn, don't vote, including for the Bern.

Bill

Anonymous said...

If I lost my home and all my stuff I would sue the person who decided a cozy atmosphere was so crucial to their happiness.

Anonymous said...

We had a big fire in our EV bldg due to someone's candle too...we never burned one again. But we do feel the Bern..

paddy523 said...

A friend of mine lost everything in that fire, and because some momo wanted "cozy atmosphere"!!! You want cozy??? Get a fucking hobbit hole in the woods!!!!

Anonymous said...

LED & flameless candles at Pier1. Prices range from $11.95 - $36.95. Nobody dies or loses property - priceless.

Steve Herrick said...

If any residents of 133 E. 7th St. can reach out to Cooper Square Committee at 212-228-8210, we can help you access resources including temporary housing. We can also help the displaced tenants to organize and get your building repaired as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

These buildings are all tinder boxes, waiting to erupt into flame. A hot day in July could set one off.