Monday, September 16, 2019
At the Gem Spa Cash Mob
On Saturday afternoon, friends and neighbors came together for a Cash Mob at Gem Spa on Second Avenue at St. Mark's Place.
Organized by #SaveNYC and Jeremiah Moss, the effort was to help the struggling shop make up for some back rent and the temporary loss of its lottery and cigarette sales (a now-former employee was said to sell cigarettes to an undercover minor).
From noon to 2 p.m., a steady stream of customers came through the venerable shop to buy egg creams and put in an order for a Gem Spa T-shirt (a popular item now).
As previously noted, Gem Spa was adorned with signage and logos for "Schitibank," a play on Citibank, an alleged interested party in the space. (Citi denied they had any interest in the storefront.)
EVG contributor Stacie Joy was at Gem Spa and shared these photos (and find Jeremiah Moss' recap here) ...
[Parul Patel, daughter of owner Ray Patel]
And here's a look at some of the signage that Tommy Noonan and Doug Cameron of the design firm DCX Accelerator created pro bono for the event...
Previously on EV Grieve:
• Get your Gem Spa t-shirts or photos of Madonna — at Gem Spa! (Aug. 16)
• A July 4 moment at Gem Spa (July 4)
• Will you buy a Gem Spa T-shirt? (June 28)
• The Gem Spa Zoltar is alive and well and telling fortunes an L-train ride away in Bushwick (June 19)
• "Gem Spa is open!" (June 18)
• What is happening at Gem Spa? (June 11)
• A visit to Gem Spa (May 10)