[Photo by Jeremiah Moss]
From noon to 2 p.m. today (Sept. 14!), the folks at #SaveNYC are hosting a Cash Mob at Gem Spa — currently adorned as a "Schitibank" branch — on Second Avenue at St. Mark's Place to help support the longtime business. Per the official invite:
Come prepared to spend some money — egg creams, pretzels, t-shirts, toothpaste! — and take your photo with a surprise work of guerrilla street art, as an acclaimed group of cultural activists and designers radically transform Gem Spa into a dystopian vision for the new St. Mark’s Place.
Maybe order an egg cream...
[Photo by Stacie Joy]
This is the latest act of kindness that neighbors have shown for the shop, which Parul Patel has been running for her ailing father Ray, the owner since 1986.
As we've been reporting in recent months, Gem Spa has been struggling of late, in part due to its temporary ban on selling cigarettes and lottery tickets as well as various landlord issues. (The ban ends in November.)
Previously on EV Grieve:
• A cash mob Saturday at Gem Spa (Sept. 10)
• Get your Gem Spa t-shirts or photos of Madonna — at Gem Spa! (Aug. 16)
• Will you buy a Gem Spa T-shirt? (June 28)
• The Gem Spa Zoltar is alive and well and telling fortunes an L-train ride away in Bushwick (June 19)
• "Gem Spa is open!" (June 18)
• What is happening at Gem Spa? (June 11)
• A visit to Gem Spa (May 10)